Friday, March 19, 2010

Waterville, PA, Spill: Airfoam HD Is Dangerous

Airfoam HD is dangerous, contrary to what the PA DEP is claiming in Waterville, PA, after a spill this week. A gas company spokesman called the spill "soap." However, AIRFOAM HD has 2-BE in it. Dr. Theo Colborn of Endocrine Disruption Exchange, Inc. (TEDX) researched 2-BE and reported the following:

2-BE is a highly soluble, colorless liquid with a very faint, ether-like odor. It has a low volatility, vaporizes slowly when mixed with water and remains well dissolved throughout the water column. It mobilizes in soil and can easily leach into groundwater. It could remain entrapped underground for years.
She noted that it is readily absorbed by the skin and can easily be inhaled as it off-gasses in the home. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry Profile lists the following effects of 2-BE:
kidney damage, kidney failure, toxicity to the spleen, the bones in the spinal column and bone marrow, liver cancer, anemia, female fertility reduction, embryo mortality, and the biggie- elevated numbers of combined malignant and non-malignant tumors of the adrenal gland.
A family in Colorado found out the hard way about 2-BE. The mom developed a serious illness- Primary Hyper Aldosteronism, a very rare condition of a tumor on her adrenal gland. Her doctors could not figure out how she could have acquired such a rare disease. You can read her tragic story here.

The PA DEP spokesman, Daniel Spadoni, told Waterville residents this week that AIRFOAM HD is not listed as dangerous. He appears to be wrong. Why does he not know about this dangerous substance? The information is available to the public. Did Mr. Spadoni take a little time to do some research? It's very disturbing that people in authority tell people not to worry about a substance that is known to be very toxic and causes illness.

Nastassja Noell has written an article (11/18/2009) about industrial foam used in natural gas production which was found in Schaeffer Creek in Bedford County, PA. Read about Wayne and Angel Smith of Clearville, PA. Their experience on their farm is heartbreaking.



Anonymous said...

You know things are bad when people show up with diseases so rare right after gas drilling enters their ares. That poor family, along with so many others, no longer control their own destinies. It is so sad for such a short prolongation of natural gas on our planet.

Peacegirl said...

Anonymous- I so agree. For only a few years of natural gas, we proceed full speed ahead to destroy our natural resources and the health of our citizens and the health of our children and grandchildren. We can't get these things back once they are gone- fresh water, in particular. Thanks for your comment.